Why you need to re-roof your house might be out of necessity, wanting a change or redesigning. Your roof maybe failing, loosing colour, corrosion, rust, mould or sprung leaks. What ever the reason you are looking at re-roofing we have put together a few things to help you along the journey.
Thinking about the cost to re-roof your home it is important to look at the long term cost. Cost for re-roofing can be broken down in to two sections, the up-front costs (materials and installation) and the longevity costs. Using cheap materials and/or less than reputable roofer may mean you save money in the short term but can mean that you end up having to replace your roof in only a few years.
Things you need to consider when you are re-roofing:
- Make sure if you are re-roofing due to existing roof fail, that you talk to us about working out what caused it. We will then get rid of the existing problem(s) before beginning.
- Ask us to assess whether it is necessary to tear off the existing shingles/tiles before re-roofing. If it is necessary we will dispose of them for you.
- Check to see if you roof is properly ventilated
- Check your insulation, do you need to upgrade, easier to install when the roof is off.
- Does your roof need underlayment
- Check the roof framing structure, rafters, beams, purlins etc – we can check these to see if they need replacing
- Check your spoutings, down pipes and other rainwater systems – we can also help with this and advise
- What is the climate conditions the roof will be exposed to
- The roof shape and profile
- What product is best for your home, we can advise you on what your options are
- What colour do you want
Once you have decided on your new roof these are the 10 steps to re-roofing:
- Set up – scaffolding/edge protection
- Remove – old tiles/roofing iron
- Inspect – check the roof structure for defects
- Prepare – roof surface will be prepared (drip edge, underlay) and if needed install insulation
- Install – new battens or purlins if necessary
- Load up – roofing materials
- Lay – roofing products
- Lay – ridge tiles/install flashings
- Pointing – nailing/rivets and sealents
- Finish – site clean up and final inspection.
Talk to the us today about getting the process started, and we can help you through your decisions to get the roof that is build to last.
Products for your new roof
The modern Colorsteel® versions of this classic, cost effective, long-run steel offer greater strength and durability, and a huge range of colours and profiles. There’s a Colorsteel® solution for almost any situation. All products are designed to perform across a wide range of environments and job types.
If you’re wanting the look of a traditional tiled roof, but one that is lighter and more durable, then our range of Metrotile metal tiles may be your answer. Metrotile make a wide range of high quality metal roofing tiles and have been manufacturing in New Zealand for 65 years.
Long-run roofing, metal roofing or corrugated iron as it’s more widely known, has long been a staple building material in New Zealand. Classic, versatile and born for our climate, no wonder long-run is still one of the most popular roofing style’s in New Zealand.
Durable, strong and non-corrosive, these roof tiles will withstand the most extreme conditions New Zealand weather can throw at them. Tiles offer a diversity that other roofing materials simply can’t match. They come in an extensive range of profiles to suit any style of architecture.